newbie help wanted with installing/using netpbm through macports

Jochen Küpper jochen at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Mon Jan 14 14:17:52 PST 2008

Hi Matt,

On 14.01.2008, at 21:54, Matt wrote:

> I am trying to compile an intel mac compatible version of an open
> source printer driver so I can use my old but beloved Alps printer
> on my new intel imac.  The source for the driver is here:
>
> http://openprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=ppmtomd&fromprinter=Alps-MD-1000

Not sure what you are trying to achieve, but isn't it god enough to
just downlaod the PPD from the page you give here and then go to
preferences, add printer, and give it that PPD?

> I succesfully downloaded, installed, and updated macports, then told
> it to install netpbm.  I got no errors and everything looked good.
> Unfortunately, the source for the ppmtomd driver still can't find
> those header files (though I can through spotlight).

Again, what are you doing? Where exactly did you get the source code
from?

If you *really* need the compiler to find the header files, you can
specify them using -I, i.e.,
   gcc -I=/opt/local/bin
or set C_INCLUDE_PATH appropriately.

Hope this helps.