Compiling IcedTea (was: Re: freetype-devel)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 15 03:22:02 PST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008, at 20:49, Michael Franz wrote:

>> Without knowing what software it is that you're trying to build, I
>> can only make basic suggestions about how to compile something
>> against the MacPorts libraries. See this message from earlier today:
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-January/
>> 008313.html
>>
>> Especially see the "Bottom line" at the end.
>
> I have been trying this, but it does not solve  my problem.
> export CFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include" export LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/
> lib"I am trying to compile icedtea, which as far as I know is not
> in the Macports. At least, freetype-devel is installed, I only have
> to find a way to get configure to find it.Thanks for you help!Michael

You mean this thing?

http://icedtea.classpath.org/

Yow, they have lots of requirements. From their INSTALL file:

> The build requirements are as follows:
>
> GNU libgcj 4.1.2
> Eclipse Java Compiler 3.2.1
> CUPS
> libX11 (libXp, libXtst, libXi, libXt)
> lesstif
> Freetype2
> patch
> sed
> unzip
> md5sum
> wget
> alsa
> xalan
> xerces
> firefox-devel
> glib2-devel
> gtk2-devel
> ant >= 1.6.5
> libXinerama-devel
> giflib-devel
> libpng-devel
> libjpeg-devel
> zlib-devel
> mercurial 0.9.5 + forest extension

We have ports for many of those things. Not sure if we have ports for
all of them. Some are already part of Mac OS X and doesn't need
separate ports (CUPS, patch, sed, unzip, md5sum).

I don't see a port for alsa (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture?) or
the Eclipse Java Compiler. I don't know if alsa works on Mac OS X. We
have gcc42 and gcc41 ports, which provide libgcj, but gcc42 is the
earliest version that will work on Intel Macs, which we should be
supporting today. So hopefully libgcj 4.2.2 would satisfy the
requirements.

Hopefully once you figure out how to compile IcedTea, you can create
a portfile for it. Here is my start at one, though it's not much.

I see that IcedTea automatically downloads files and builds them.
Hopefully there's a way to tell it where to download them to (it
should be pointed at a subdirectory of the distfiles directory).