Compiling IcedTea (was: Re: freetype-devel)

Michael Franz mvfranz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 09:41:48 PST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 6:22 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2008, at 20:49, Michael Franz wrote:
>
> >> Without knowing what software it is that you're trying to build, I
> >> can only make basic suggestions about how to compile something
> >> against the MacPorts libraries. See this message from earlier today:
> >>
> >> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-January/
> >> 008313.html
> >>
> >> Especially see the "Bottom line" at the end.
> >
> > I have been trying this, but it does not solve  my problem.
> > export CFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include" export LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/
> > lib"I am trying to compile icedtea, which as far as I know is not
> > in the Macports. At least, freetype-devel is installed, I only have
> > to find a way to get configure to find it.Thanks for you help!Michael
>
> You mean this thing?
>
> http://icedtea.classpath.org/

Yes, that is the one.  I think the eclipse compiler is easy, as it is pure
java.  Some of the other things are not 100% necessary.  I think there are
some work-arounds for them.  I won't know until I get to each problem.
 Since I have Linux, I am hoping it will be easy to determine what is
missing and how the build should work.

> Yow, they have lots of requirements. From their INSTALL file:
>
> > The build requirements are as follows:
> >
> > GNU libgcj 4.1.2
> > Eclipse Java Compiler 3.2.1
> > CUPS
> > libX11 (libXp, libXtst, libXi, libXt)
> > lesstif
> > Freetype2
> > patch
> > sed
> > unzip
> > md5sum
> > wget
> > alsa
> > xalan
> > xerces
> > firefox-devel
> > glib2-devel
> > gtk2-devel
> > ant >= 1.6.5
> > libXinerama-devel
> > giflib-devel
> > libpng-devel
> > libjpeg-devel
> > zlib-devel
> > mercurial 0.9.5 + forest extension
>
> We have ports for many of those things. Not sure if we have ports for
> all of them. Some are already part of Mac OS X and doesn't need
> separate ports (CUPS, patch, sed, unzip, md5sum).
>
> I don't see a port for alsa (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture?) or
> the Eclipse Java Compiler. I don't know if alsa works on Mac OS X. We
> have gcc42 and gcc41 ports, which provide libgcj, but gcc42 is the
> earliest version that will work on Intel Macs, which we should be
> supporting today. So hopefully libgcj 4.2.2 would satisfy the
> requirements.

I struggled with getting 4.2.2 to compile - I was using an older version of
XCode - needed 2.4 to get it to compile.

> Hopefully once you figure out how to compile IcedTea, you can create
> a portfile for it. Here is my start at one, though it's not much.
>
> I see that IcedTea automatically downloads files and builds them.
> Hopefully there's a way to tell it where to download them to (it
> should be pointed at a subdirectory of the distfiles directory).

Thanks for the Portfile start - I was thinking that maybe using macports
will help with the configuration script.

Michael