libpcap failing to build

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 17 20:48:30 PST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 21:31, Noah wrote:

> I am just starting out using darwinports.  I am wondering if there
> is any advice that could be provided to figuring out why libpcap is
> not being build?

Welcome to MacPorts! (It hasn't been called "DarwinPorts in a long
time.)

> --->  Building libpcap with target all
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_net_l
> ibpcap/work/libpcap-0.9.8"
> && make all " returned error 2
> Command output: rm -f libpcap.dylib
> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -dynamiclib -o libpcap.`cat VERSION`.dylib \
>         -install_name /opt/local/lib/libpcap.0.dylib \
>         -compatibility_version 1.0.0 -current_version `cat VERSION` \
>         pcap-bpf.o fad-getad.o pcap.o inet.o gencode.o optimize.o
> nametoaddr.o etherent.o savefile.o bpf_filter.o bpf_image.o bpf_dump.o
> scanner.o grammar.o version.o
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _lex_cleanup
> _lex_init
> _pcap_lex
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make: *** [libpcap.dylib] Error 1
>
> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
> --->  Building libpcap with target all
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_net_l
> ibpcap/work/libpcap-0.9.8"
> && make all " returned error 2
> Command output: rm -f libpcap.dylib
> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -dynamiclib -o libpcap.`cat VERSION`.dylib \
>         -install_name /opt/local/lib/libpcap.0.dylib \
>         -compatibility_version 1.0.0 -current_version `cat VERSION` \
>         pcap-bpf.o fad-getad.o pcap.o inet.o gencode.o optimize.o
> nametoaddr.o etherent.o savefile.o bpf_filter.o bpf_image.o bpf_dump.o
> scanner.o grammar.o version.o
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _lex_cleanup
> _lex_init
> _pcap_lex
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make: *** [libpcap.dylib] Error 1

The libpcap problem is already filed in our issue tracker:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13802

I've added your email address to the ticket's Cc list so you'll be
informed of any progress in resolving it.

There are suggestions in the ticket for working around the problem.
Could you please try those steps and add a note to the ticket
indicating whether or not this worked for you? Thanks.