libpcap failing to build

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Sat Jan 19 11:18:48 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:48:30PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2008, at 21:31, Noah wrote:
>
> >I am just starting out using darwinports.  I am wondering if there
> >is any advice that could be provided to figuring out why libpcap is
> >not being build?

[snip]

> The libpcap problem is already filed in our issue tracker:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13802
>
> I've added your email address to the ticket's Cc list so you'll be
> informed of any progress in resolving it.
>
> There are suggestions in the ticket for working around the problem.
> Could you please try those steps and add a note to the ticket
> indicating whether or not this worked for you? Thanks.

	In particular the MacPorts installed 'flex' seems to choke
with libpcap, if you've installed 'flex' (via MacPorts) try deactivating
it and building libpcap (you can re-activate flex afterwards).  MacPorts
will then pick up the system-installed flex (in /usr/bin) and that
works fine for building libpcap.
	If that doesn't work, please let us know what OS rev and
platform (x86 vs ppc) you're on, and what other ports you have installed.
Updating the ticket (see above) is a good place to do that.

		-eric