newbie help wanted with installing/using netpbm through macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 19 16:16:09 PST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 14:11, Matt wrote:

> Hooray!  I finally got my printer working!  Ryan, your help
> compiling ppmtomd was a big step.
>
> If anyone is curious, I typed up a complete list of the steps that
> I needed to take to get the printer working here:
>
> http://forums.linux-foundation.org/read.php?19,4245,4315#msg-4315
>
> Hopefully anyone else trying do get an alps printer working on and
> intel mac will find it.
>
> Thanks for all your help!

I'm glad you got it working! But your instructions have people
manually copying ppmtomd from ${prefix}/bin to /usr/local/bin. That's
non-excellent. It would be better to figure out how to make it work
from ${prefix}/bin. You also have people manually downloading and
installing ghostscript, foomatic-rip and usbtb. We already have a
port for ghostscript in MacPorts. Wouldn't it make things easier to
create ports for foomatic-rip and usbtb as well?