newbie help wanted with installing/using netpbm through macports

Matt mattness at mac.com
Sun Jan 20 07:19:46 PST 2008

I agree its not the most elegant solution, but its the only way I
could get things to work.  I'm not sure which piece of the puzzle
requires ppmtomd to be in /usr/local/bin but something does.  I
suppose I could put an alias to ppmtomd in /usr/local/bin.

I have no idea how to go about making a port file, but it would save a
couple steps.

The step that I am most unhappy with in my instructions is that you
can't select the correct front end driver from usbtb's install
interface.  If someone accidentally tried to print a test page with
the wrong driver it could damage their printer.  Not sure what I can
do about that short of modifying the source for usbtb and I'm not
qualified to do that.  The guy that wrote it never got back to me when
I emailed him a question about it.

One other question for you.  Does MacPorts require the developer tools
to be installed?  It compiles stuff locally so I assume it does... I
didn't think to put that in my list of instructions.