configuring alsa-lib

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 20 19:45:58 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 08:29, Michael Franz wrote:

> My new project is compiling alsa-lib 1.0.15. There seems to logic
> in the configuration and other files for the regular flavors
> (freebsd/linux/darwin/..) so I feel somewhat confident this can be
> accomplished. As I am not all that familar with autoconf and some
> of the standard tools I will probably have some pretty simple
> questions for you gurus.
>
> My first question has to deal with endian.h . It seems that linux
> has it as a standard include, but darwin uses machine/endian.h . I
> figure that I can patch the source (alsa) to use one or the other
> based on something from configure. In the past I have seen/used
> something like HAVE_XXXX_H around specific includes. Is there a
> better way to approach this problem?

I don't know that we can help you with this. MacPorts is about taking
software that works on Mac OS X and making it easier to install. If
the software does not already work on Mac OS X, then your best bet is
to first work with the developers of the software to make it work on
Mac OS X. After they've done that, then you can make a MacPorts
portfile for it.