Checksum failure with ncbi-tools, then missing getfeat.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 21 21:38:25 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 23:25, Matt Scilipoti wrote:

> Randy,
> Thanks for your instruction.  I have created ticket #14028 and
> included michael.thon at yahoo.com in the CC.
>
> More below.
>
> On 1/21/08, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> ... snipped ...
>>
>>> For future reference...
>>> A google search shows that the checksum error has occurred before.
>>> This is one of the reasons many libraries have started including
>>> version numbers in the file name.  This practice also ensures that
>>> prior versions of the libraries remain available.
>>>
>>> Thanks for attention in this matter.
>>
>> That's great advice, but it would do more good if sent to the
>> developers of ncbi_tools, not to the MacPorts project, which is
>> merely at the developers' mercy.
>
> I would like to assist the port maintainer by directing him to some
> MacPort specific guidelines, but I was unable to find them on the
> wiki.  I have noticed that python, xfce, and a few others are using a
> similar convention in MacPorts.  Perhaps there are other measures
> available in MacPorts?  I saw that I could install a particular
> version, but I could not find how to list the available versions.

Available versions? It's only possible to install the version of the
software specified in the portfile. If a newer version is available,
the portfile should be updated by its maintainer. It is not possible
(without a bit of fiddling outside of MacPorts) to install earlier
versions.

What convention are you observing in python, xfce...?

Guidelines for writing ports and for using MacPorts are in the guide
at http://guide.macports.org/ . If it needs to be updated with new
information, I'm sure the guide authors would appreciate feedback. A
ticket can be filed for documentation improvements as well.