newbie question: .profile

David Meili dmeili at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 12:56:05 PST 2008

Hello,

I only tried to install macports today and don't understand much in the
mails i read here, so maybe I should first do some more reading, but any
help would be appreciated a lot.

I have mac os x 10.4.11, installed xcode and macports, but i cannot find any
.profile file.
ls -a gives:
.                               .openoffice.org2
..                              .recently-used
.CFUserTextEncoding             .thumbnails
.DS_Store                       Adobe SVG 3.0 Installer Log
.Kanton ZH                      Applications
.Trash                          Desktop
.Xauthority                     Documents
.bash_history                   Library
.config                         Movies
.dvdcss                         Music
.fonts.cache-1                  Pictures
.gimp-2.2                       Public
.gnome2                         Registrierung senden
.inkscape                       Sites
.inkscape-etc                   test
.macports
env gives:
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM=xterm-color
SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=133
XRE_IMPORT_PROFILES=
XRE_PROFILE_LOCAL_PATH=
USER=fra
XRE_START_OFFLINE=
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:3
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
PWD=/Users/fra
XRE_PROFILE_PATH=
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Users/fra
LOGNAME=fra
MOZ_LAUNCHED_CHILD=
NO_EM_RESTART=
XRE_BINARY_PATH=
XUL_APP_FILE=
SECURITYSESSIONID=80fc70
_=/usr/bin/env

There is a profile file in /private/etc (but it has no dot in front), should
i modify that one?
Also, i don't understand this long PATH (
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
)

David