newbie question: .profile

kakuda at engineering.ucsb.edu kakuda at engineering.ucsb.edu
Sun Jan 27 15:57:18 PST 2008

Hi David,

Yes, the file you found in /private/etc is the default and there is no
profile listed in your home directory.  I found it best to copy the default
into my home directory and then alter it accordingly (ie. call it .bashrc
or .bash_profile).  The profile in the home directory will append the one
in /private/etc (I believe).

To properly locate macports add the following line to your profile:
export PATH="$PATH:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin"

Hope that helps,

Cheers