port outdated output is not complete

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 27 20:16:35 PST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008, at 21:50, Harry Parker wrote:

> Today, after noticing the message this morning from Guido Soranzio
> about fixing port py25-tkinter, I did a port selfupdate as a first
> step in preparation to trying it. Then as usual, I did a "port
> outdated" to see what else had changed. I was surprised to find
> that py25-tkinter was NOT listed as outdated! [snip]

The way it's supposed to work is: every 12 hours, Daniel Luke's
server regenerates the portindex and commits it to the Subversion
repository. Every 30 minutes, the Subversion repository syncs over to
the rsync server, which is what you're connecting to when you use
"port sync" and "port selfupdate". So, if a new version of something
you have installed is committed to the repository, you should get it
shown by "port outdated" within 12 and a half hours at the latest.

However, currently this is not working, because Daniel upgraded his
server to Leopard but is now unable to get MacPorts installed on it
for some as yet undetermined reason. See this thread:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2008-January/
004239.html

Until this is fixed, "port outdated" won't work on its own. You can
help it by regenerating the portindex yourself by doing this (after
you sync or selfupdate):

cd `port dir MacPorts`/../..
sudo portindex

Then "port outdated" will work.