bug for installing Macports?

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Tue Jan 29 13:25:46 PST 2008

Citando Hector Zenil :
> I still have this problems to run the macports application, could
> somebody help me? Thanks!
>
> $sudo /opt/local/bin/port install
> Can't map the URL 'file://.' to a port description file ("Could not
> find Portfile in /opt/local/bin").
> Please verify that the directory and portfile syntax are correct.
> To use the current port, you must be in a port's directory.
> (you might also see this message if a pseudo-port such as
> outdated or installed expands to no ports).
> Error: Unable to open port: Could not find Portfile in /opt/local/bin

When used without the name of a port, port install tries to install
according to a portfile it would find in the current directory. This
mesage indicates there is no portfile here (which is normal).

> $sudo /opt/local/bin/port install aspell
> Warning: Can't open index file for source:
> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/

Are you behind a firewall that prevents you from connecting to rsync?

> $sudo /opt/local/bin/port install aspell-dict-en
> Warning: Can't open index file for source:
> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/

You may not have a PortIndex file which is necessary for port to work.
go to the root of your port tree (something like
/opt/local/var/macports/source/release/dports/ you ca try to 'find
/opt/local/var/macports Portfile' to have an idea where the root of the
port tree is) and 'sudo /opt/local/bin/portindex'

>  Even for the selfupdate I get error messages:
>
>  $ sudo port selfupdate
>  Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the
>  ports tree: Synchronization the local ports tree failed doing rsync
>
>  and fails.

selfupdate tries to rsync and rsync fails. Your administrator may have
changed its firewall rules and forbidden rsync. To update your port tree
and your port installation, you will need either rsync working, either
you will have to resort to subversion.

Regards,

Emmanuel Hainry