dependencies for gnome

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 13:51:50 PDT 2008

Are all these *really* necessary?

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gnome-desktop-suite
evince gdk-pixbuf glib1 gtk1 poppler poppler-data file-roller
gcalctool gconf-editor gdm howl gedit gtksourceview2
py25-pygtksourceview gnome-applets gnome-control-center
gnome-python-desktop gnome-media gtksourceview gnuregex
totem-pl-parser gucharmap system-tools-backends p5-net-dbus
p5-xml-twig gnome-audio gnome-backgrounds gnome-games ggz-client-libs
libggz guile gmp libsdl_mixer libsdl smpeg py25-gtkglext gtkglext
py25-opengl py25-pil py25-setuptools py25-tkinter tcl tk
gnome-keyring-manager gnome-mag gnome-session gnome-system-monitor
gtkmm cairomm glibmm libsigcxx2 gnome-terminal vte gnome-user-docs
gnome-utils gnopernicus libgail-gnome libgtkhtml3 seahorse avahi
dbus-python25 gdbm libdaemon py25-gdbm gpgme pth vino yelp firefox-x11
zip zenity

seahorse *and* firefox? howl *and* avahi? Don't these do more or less
the same thing?

I can see needing a lot of libraries, but shouldn't full applications
be optional? why gedit?

Maybe there's something in these variants -- Variants:    graphics,
office, universal, www -- but it's not obvious to me.

It would be a worthwhile exercise for maintainers to install a complex
meta-port from scratch, just to see if anything needs fixing. I can
only imagine how long this will take to build.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard.org>