dependencies for gnome

Randall Wood randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com
Sat Jul 5 07:30:01 PDT 2008

When I maintained this port, it was designed to deliver the official
GNOME distribution set as completely as possible. So yes, everything
is really required unless it has been removed from GNOME upstream and
not from the port.

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 4:51 PM, paul beard <paulbeard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are all these *really* necessary?
>
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gnome-desktop-suite
> evince gdk-pixbuf glib1 gtk1 poppler poppler-data file-roller
> gcalctool gconf-editor gdm howl gedit gtksourceview2
> py25-pygtksourceview gnome-applets gnome-control-center
> gnome-python-desktop gnome-media gtksourceview gnuregex
> totem-pl-parser gucharmap system-tools-backends p5-net-dbus
> p5-xml-twig gnome-audio gnome-backgrounds gnome-games ggz-client-libs
> libggz guile gmp libsdl_mixer libsdl smpeg py25-gtkglext gtkglext
> py25-opengl py25-pil py25-setuptools py25-tkinter tcl tk
> gnome-keyring-manager gnome-mag gnome-session gnome-system-monitor
> gtkmm cairomm glibmm libsigcxx2 gnome-terminal vte gnome-user-docs
> gnome-utils gnopernicus libgail-gnome libgtkhtml3 seahorse avahi
> dbus-python25 gdbm libdaemon py25-gdbm gpgme pth vino yelp firefox-x11
> zip zenity
>
> seahorse *and* firefox? howl *and* avahi? Don't these do more or less
> the same thing?

Seahorse is a GPG frontend. Firefox is a web browser. No similarity.
I'm not sure why howl is in there, everything GNOME should depend on
avahi (unless some clever GNOME developer is using howl only on Mac OS
X in his project)

> I can see needing a lot of libraries, but shouldn't full applications
> be optional? why gedit?

gedit is part of the GNOME desktop as defined by GNOME. If you want
the GNOME platform (which has most of the current GNOME libraries),
install the gnome-platform-suite port.