Calls to imagettftext cause fatal error in php

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 7 13:56:08 PDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 15:08, Chris Janton wrote:

> On 2008-07-07 , at 11:53 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> The way I read things is that if one turns off quickdraw in freetype
>>> then the "problem" will not occur.
>>
>> What are the implications of turning off QuickDraw in FreeType? What
>> features will then not work?
>
> From what I can see? No more deprecated QuickDraw functions. The
> following configuration settings seem relevant...
>
>   --with-old-mac-fonts    allow Mac resource-based fonts to be used

That configure switch was added to the portfile at the request of a
user:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13045

>   --with-fsspec           use obsolete FSSpec API of MacOS, if
> available
>                           (default=yes)
>   --with-fsref            use Carbon FSRef API of MacOS, if available
>                           (default=yes)
>   --with-quickdraw-toolbox
>                           use MacOS QuickDraw in ToolBox, if available
>                           (default=yes)
>   --with-quickdraw-carbon use MacOS QuickDraw in Carbon, if available
>                           (default=yes)
>   --with-ats              use AppleTypeService, if available
> (default=yes)
>
> I modified my version of the Portfile (running from trunk)
>
> 	--with-fsspec=no
> 	--with-fsref=no
> 	--with-quickdraw-toolbox=no
> 	--with-quickdraw-carbon=no
> 	--with-old-mac-fonts=no //this one is for me, since I don't use
> old mac fonts ;-)
>
> and left --with-ats alone.
>
> Followed with
>
> 	sudo port configure freetype
> 	sudo port build freetype
> 	sudo port install -f freetype
>
> hand tested PHP, works as advertised.
>
> 	sudo /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl graceful
>
> tested the same PHP code with web browser. I got an image with text
> on it as expected (the same image that gets produced by a running
> the PHP straight-up).
>
> From what I read the only "feature" that doesn't work anymore is
> the ability to use freetype with old-style Mac file specs and
> references.

So I guess this would be a matter of some software that would want to
access fonts with old-style Mac file specs and references? But
disabling the QuickDraw and FSSpec and FSRef functions wouldn't
affect FreeType's ability to load old Mac fonts?