Calls to imagettftext cause fatal error in php

Bryan Blackburn 0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com
Mon Jul 7 14:32:02 PDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 2:56 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> What are the implications of turning off QuickDraw in FreeType? What
>>> features will then not work?
>>
>> From what I can see? No more deprecated QuickDraw functions. The
>> following configuration settings seem relevant...
>>
>>  --with-old-mac-fonts    allow Mac resource-based fonts to be used
>
> That configure switch was added to the portfile at the request of a
> user:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13045

Trying to build with fsspec/fsref/quickdraw disabled but old-mac-fonts
enabled results in a couple of configure warnings:

configure: WARNING:
*** WARNING
     FreeType2 built without FSRef API cannot load
     data-fork fonts on MacOS, except of XXX.dfont.

configure: WARNING:
*** WARNING
     FSSpec/FSRef/QuickDraw/ATS options are explicitly given,
     thus it is recommended to replace src/base/ftmac.c by builds/mac/
ftmac.c.

So it seems like all either need to be on or off; not sure about that
ftmac.c deal though.

Note that my 10.5 machine still shows some font files that won't load
without old-mac-fonts enabled (look in /System/Library/Fonts and /
Library/Fonts for 0 byte files).

In the end it seems like a choice would have to be made: the ability
to load those fonts vs. avoiding the CoreFoundation fork() issue.

Bryan