Dependencies relationship to default variants?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 21:14:53 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:

> Landon Fuller wrote:
>
>> Juan, Landon, would it be possible to use kerberos5 here instead?
>>>

>> On Mac OS X, Kerberos is a more or less a runtime system service,
>>  integrating with the Keychain, the GUI, etc.
>> It's an instance where I believe it makes sense to use the system
>>  libraries.
>>

> Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know Kerberos was one of these
> exceptions. Sorry for the noise :-)

IMHO not noise because this knowledge benefits the entire MacPorts
community. I also didn't know about this
so-called "exception" and in fact it would be great to know how many other
such exceptions may exist that are
not so easily discoverable or which could benefit from some further
documentation updating and clarity.

BTW, the way I discovered this exception was due to a MacPorts auditing
system I'm writing in Ruby. It compared
a list of ports and their variants (before and after). The cyrus-sasl2
"before" installation didn't have any variants, but
the cyrus-sasl2 port post install showed up with the kerberos variant (e.g.,
"port installed cyrus-sasl2") and then the
Ruby-based auditing system flagged it and said, essentially, "hey, I don't
recognize cyrus-sasl2 +kerberos so what is
it doing here?"

By doing this and raising attention to this issue, I believe the MacPorts
community is better off today compared to
yesterday. I love the freedom and democracy of open source. I love MacPorts!

Thanks,

T.M.