Dependencies relationship to default variants?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 21:09:34 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Landon Fuller <landonf at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2008, at 2:13 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>  You are right, there is no dependency on kerberos5. And it is using the
>> Kerberos framework provided by Apple. Our current policy is not to use
>> system libraries, but add them to MacPorts and use it from there. I am
>> CC'ing the maintainers of cyrus-sasl2.
>>
>> Juan, Landon, would it be possible to use kerberos5 here instead?
>>

> On Mac OS X, Kerberos is a more or less a runtime system service,
> integrating with the Keychain, the GUI, etc.
> It's an instance where I believe it makes sense to use the system
> libraries.

It appears as if the MacPort "kerberos5" is no longer maintained. It seems
there is community consensus that
it makes sense to use the Apple provisioned kerberos system libraries akin
to X11. Should, therefore, the
kerberos5 port be deprecated / orphaned entirely and taken out of the ports
subversion repository unless and until
the MacPorts community consensus changes on such a sensitive topic?

Thanks,

T.M.