A rather unique issue

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 17 15:38:04 PDT 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 11:29, Mr. Bond wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 1:49 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jul 17, 2008, at 00:20, Mr. Bond wrote:
>>
>>> There are several applications that I wish to use that are only
>>> really available through macports. However, when I try to install
>>> it, the installer responds that the install is successful, yet no
>>> files are actually written to the disk. When I attempted this
>>> from the command line in verbose mode, I received not a single
>>> error, yet no files were written. This macbook pro is basically
>>> new, I've only had it about a week, it's intell and lepoard, and
>>> the only things I have installed are adium, firefox, and deeper.
>>> Any Suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
>>
>> You've given us nothing to go on. We need to know your version of
>> Mac OS X, Xcode and MacPorts, what computer you're using, what
>> ports you're trying to install, and how you arrived at the
>> conclusion that no files are actually written to disk. You should
>> also examine the output of "port contents <portname>" to see
>> whether the files are being installed some place you didn't expect.
>
> When I tried to install macports itself, no files are written. I
> know this because, 'port' is not a recognized command, that and I
> looked at the uninstall instructions to see what files to remove
> (to see if they were actually on the disk) and they were not. Yet,
> when i tried to run the installer again, it said that it would use
> 0MB of disk space. Yet, the install returns as a success. The
> hardware of this machine is:
>   Model Name:    MacBook Pro
>   Model Identifier:    MacBookPro4,1
>   Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
>   Processor Speed:    2.5 GHz
>   Number Of Processors:    1
>   Total Number Of Cores:    2
>   L2 Cache:    6 MB
>   Memory:    2 GB
>   Bus Speed:    800 MHz
>   Boot ROM Version:    MBP41.00C1.B03
>   SMC Version:    1.27f1
>
> The software is:
>   System Version:    Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
>   Kernel Version:    Darwin 9.4.0
>   Boot Volume:    Macintosh HD
>   Boot Mode:    Normal
>   Computer Name:    Mike's MacBook Pro
>   User Name:    Mike (mike)
>   Time since boot:    9 minutes

Oh sorry, I didn't realize the issue was with installing MacPorts
itself. I thought you had MacPorts installed and were having trouble
installing a specific port.

It is a known bug in the MacPorts 1.6.0 installer that the .profile
does not get set up so you have to type the complete path to the port
command (/opt/local/bin/port) or preferably set up your .profile
manually. See the Guide:

http://guide.macports.org/#installing.shell

This bug has been fixed and will be in the next MacPorts release.

It's also normal that not all paths listed in the uninstall
instructions will be present on your system. The MacPorts filesystem
layout has a changed a little over time, and the uninstall
instructions are written to ensure that they work for any version of
MacPorts, not just the current version.

If you really do not have /opt/local/bin/port then something is
indeed wrong. In that case I would recommend following the uninstall
instructions in the FAQ to ensure there is nothing partially
installed. Then install again, making sure you've downloaded the
MacPorts 1.6.0 disk image for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (and not the
MacPorts 1.6.0 disk image for a different version of Mac OS X). Use
the Show Log menu item in the installer and change it to show
everything, not just errors. Then do the install again. If it doesn't
work, show us what the log window says. I don't remember if you can
copy or save text out of it; if not, you can take a screenshot.

Please remember to Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not
just to me.