pidgin requires dbus (was: Re: A rather unique issue)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 17 22:53:37 PDT 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 21:16, Mr. Bond wrote:

> [...]
>>> know this because, 'port' is not a recognized command, that and I
>>> looked at the uninstall instructions to see what files to remove
>>> (to see if they were actually on the disk) and they were not.
>>> Yet, when i tried to run the installer again, it said that it
>>> would use 0MB of disk space. Yet, the install returns as a
>>> success. The hardware of this machine is:
>>>  Model Name:    MacBook Pro
>>>  Model Identifier:    MacBookPro4,1
>>>  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
>>>  Processor Speed:    2.5 GHz
>>>  Number Of Processors:    1
>>>  Total Number Of Cores:    2
>>>  L2 Cache:    6 MB
>>>  Memory:    2 GB
>>>  Bus Speed:    800 MHz
>>>  Boot ROM Version:    MBP41.00C1.B03
>>>  SMC Version:    1.27f1
>>>
>>> The software is:
>>>  System Version:    Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
>>>  Kernel Version:    Darwin 9.4.0
>>>  Boot Volume:    Macintosh HD
>>>  Boot Mode:    Normal
>>>  Computer Name:    Mike's MacBook Pro
>>>  User Name:    Mike (mike)
>>>  Time since boot:    9 minutes
>>
>> Oh sorry, I didn't realize the issue was with installing MacPorts
>> itself. I thought you had MacPorts installed and were having
>> trouble installing a specific port.
>>

>> It is a known bug in the MacPorts 1.6.0 installer that
>> the .profile does not get set up so you have to type the complete
>> path to the port command (/opt/local/bin/port) or preferably set
>> up your .profile manually. See the Guide:
>>
>> http://guide.macports.org/#installing.shell
>>
>> This bug has been fixed and will be in the next MacPorts release.
>>

>> It's also normal that not all paths listed in the uninstall
>> instructions will be present on your system. The MacPorts
>> filesystem layout has a changed a little over time, and the
>> uninstall instructions are written to ensure that they work for
>> any version of MacPorts, not just the current version.
>>

>> If you really do not have /opt/local/bin/port then something is
>> indeed wrong. In that case I would recommend following the
>> uninstall instructions in the FAQ to ensure there is nothing
>> partially installed. Then install again, making sure you've
>> downloaded the MacPorts 1.6.0 disk image for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
>> (and not the MacPorts 1.6.0 disk image for a different version of
>> Mac OS X). Use the Show Log menu item in the installer and change
>> it to show everything, not just errors. Then do the install again.
>> If it doesn't work, show us what the log window says. I don't
>> remember if you can copy or save text out of it; if not, you can
>> take a screenshot.
>>

>> Please remember to Reply All so your reply goes to the list too,
>> not just to me.
>
> Well, when I did the install the first time, indeed nothing was
> written, and I looked in all the places to verify that. but when I
> updated my XCode to 3.1, it installed. Since I'm new to mac, I just
> assumed that the program would be in /bin, /sbin or more likely /

Xcode 3.1 should be fine, though 3.0 should have worked too. In fact
the MacPorts disk image installer package does not make use of Xcode
at all, though installing MacPorts from source does, and most ports
also require Xcode to be installed.

The MacPorts environment is largely separate from the software Apple
provides. MacPorts deliberately installs itself and its ports into a
different prefix than your Apple-provided software (by default /opt/
local). Apologies if that wasn't clear; our documentation could still
use some work. If you have suggestions for how to improve the
documentation, let us know.

> And also figured that the .profile thing was related to the
> enviroment for compiling ports, and not the program itself.

Yeah, it's related to both.

> Long story short, I got it installed, ran selfupdate and tried
> "sudo /opt/local/bin/port install pidgin +quartz +no_x11" About 20
> mins. later, after fetching building and installing everything else
> imaginable (that all went fine, no errors), when it finally got to
> pidgin it returned:
>
> mikes-macbook-pro:~ mike$ sudo /opt/local/bin/port install pidgin
> +quartz +no_x11
> Password:
> --->  Configuring pidgin
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_net_p
> idgin/work/pidgin-2.4.3" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --
> disable-avahi --disable-consoleui --disable-gstreamer --disable-
> gtkspell --disable-meanwhile --disable-nm --disable-perl --disable-
> screensaver --disable-sm --disable-startup-notification --enable-
> nss --mandir=/opt/local/share/man --with-nspr-includes=/opt/local/
> include/nspr --with-nspr-libs=/opt/local/lib --with-nss-includes=/
> opt/local/include/nss --with-nss-libs=/opt/local/lib --without-x --
> disable-gestures --enable-gtkstatusicon " returned error 1
> Command output: checking for SILC... no
> checking for SILC... no
> checking for SILC... no
> checking for GADU... no
> no
> checking sys/utsname.h usability... yes
> checking sys/utsname.h presence... yes
> checking for sys/utsname.h... yes
> checking for uname... yes
> checking for -Waggregate-return option to gcc... no
> checking for -Wcast-align option to gcc... no
> checking for -Wdeclaration-after-statement option to gcc... no
> checking for -Wendif-labels option to gcc... no
> checking for -Werror-implicit-function-declaration option to gcc... no
> checking for -Wextra -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-unused-parameter option
> to gcc... no
> checking for -Winit-self option to gcc... no
> checking for -Wmissing-declarations option to gcc... no
> checking for -Wmissing-noreturn option to gcc... no
> checking for -Wmissing-prototypes option to gcc... no
> checking for -Wnested-externs option to gcc... no
> checking for -Wpointer-arith option to gcc... no
> checking for -Wundef option to gcc... no
> checking for FORTIFY_SOURCE support... no
> checking for pidgin... no
> checking for dbus-binding-tool... yes
> checking for DBUS... no
> configure: error:
> D-Bus development headers not found.
> Use --disable-dbus if you do not need D-Bus support.

So it appears that pidgin requires dbus but dbus is not declared as a
dependency of pidgin. That would be a bug in the pidgin port, and a
ticket should be filed in the issue tracker. This time I did so for you:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16018

For future reference, instructions for filing tickets can be found here:

http://guide.macports.org/#project

> Now, just for kicks I tried "sudo /opt/local/bin/port install
> pidgin +quartz +no_x11 --disable-dbus" It returned the same result,

The error message came from the pidgin configure script, but you
cannot just pass configure arguments to the port command; it will not
pass those on to the configure script. Rather, the portfile needs to
be modified to fix this problem.

[snip]

> Hmm, It doesnt seem I can disable D-bus, so where could I find
> those headers?

"port search dbus" shows me a couple ports that seem to be related.
After a little experimentation I found that both dbus and dbus-glib
are required, so since the port is an openmaintainer port, I fixed
it. If you wait 30 minutes and then run "sudo port sync" you should
then be able to install pidgin.

And remember, use your mail program's Reply All feature when you
reply so your message goes to the list too, not just to me. I'm an
expert on a few ports, but dbus and pidgin aren't in my repertoire,
so keeping the discussion on the list is in your interest so that
people who do know about the ports you're asking about will see your
post and can answer.