Clean way to uninstall outdated inactive ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 23 17:32:52 PDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 19:05, Ross Walker wrote:

> On 7/23/08 1:29 PM, "Joel Thibault (MacPorts)" wrote:
>
>> This bug annoyed me greatly.  When I tried using the "trunk"
>> version I
>> kept hearing about here, I was quite pleased to see that upgrades now
>> work properly!  Woo!
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/RunningTrunk
>>
>> Joel
>
> Hey, thanks.
>
> So in svn head the -u option ignores dependencies on upgrade and
> upgrades
> before it uninstalls?

Something like that, yes.

> I still think a feature request for an option to auto-uninstall all
> but the
> last X versions would be nice too...

You could file a ticket for this request if you want. But I don't
know that I would be excited about having that feature.

> Is there a release schedule posted for MacPorts?

No. Our release manager, jmpp, showed up briefly in April pushing for
a release of 1.6.1 or 1.7.0 but then disappeared again before doing
so. We may need to indoctrinate a new release manager. At some point
I will probably look at what's involved in making the releases, if
nobody else has by then.