Clean way to uninstall outdated inactive ports

Ross Walker rswwalker at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 21:39:04 PDT 2008

On 7/23/08 8:32 PM, "Ryan Schmidt" <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2008, at 19:05, Ross Walker wrote:
>
>> On 7/23/08 1:29 PM, "Joel Thibault (MacPorts)" wrote:
>>
>>> This bug annoyed me greatly.  When I tried using the "trunk"
>>> version I
>>> kept hearing about here, I was quite pleased to see that upgrades now
>>> work properly!  Woo!
>>>
>>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/RunningTrunk
>>>
>>> Joel
>>
>> Hey, thanks.
>>
>> So in svn head the -u option ignores dependencies on upgrade and
>> upgrades
>> before it uninstalls?
>
> Something like that, yes.
>
>> I still think a feature request for an option to auto-uninstall all
>> but the
>> last X versions would be nice too...
>
> You could file a ticket for this request if you want. But I don't
> know that I would be excited about having that feature.

Well I just might, but I'll wait and see how the next release looks first.

I think if by default it kept the previous and current versions of a port
that was upgraded it would allow the user to back-out of an upgrade if it
proves to be problematic which would be a handy feature to have for
reliability.

>> Is there a release schedule posted for MacPorts?
>
> No. Our release manager, jmpp, showed up briefly in April pushing for
> a release of 1.6.1 or 1.7.0 but then disappeared again before doing
> so. We may need to indoctrinate a new release manager. At some point
> I will probably look at what's involved in making the releases, if
> nobody else has by then.

It's hard to commit whole hearted to a project and tie down a day job and
(maybe) a family. I know I have had plenty of good intentions myself that
have fallen by the roadside.

-Ross