macport libusb install?

liam at makingthings.com liam at makingthings.com
Tue Jul 29 00:12:29 PDT 2008

> On Jul 29, 2008, at 01:30, liam at makingthings.com wrote:
>
>> Hi - just tried installing libusb and stumbled on some of the
>> instructions
>> at http://libusb.darwinports.com.
>>
>> Firstly, it says "cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/libusb"
>> but I'm
>> not sure what that path is actually supposed to be.  Any tips?  I
>> tried
>> installing with out taking that step, and the installer finished
>> with no
>> complaints, but afterwards I'm not able to get any info on where it's
>> installed (or if it actually is).  Both 'man' and 'which' libusb
>> fail to
>> return any results and 'locate' just returns
>>
>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
>> devel/libusb
>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
>> devel/libusb/Portfile
>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
>> devel/libusb/files
>> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
>> devel/libusb/files/patch-darwin.c.diff
>>
>> Have I missed a step in installing this?  Thanks for any help!
>

> Hi Liam. Welcome to MacPorts!
>
> The MacPorts project used to be called DarwinPorts, however the web
> site darwinports dot com is not and never was associated with this
> project. Please do not refer to it for any information. It is not
> accurate or sanctioned. Please refer to http://www.macports.org/ for
> your MacPorts needs. See especially the Guide at http://
> guide.macports.org/ which explains how to use MacPorts.
>

> To install libusb, simply type "sudo port install libusb". To
> discover where it installed files, type "port contents libusb". On my
> system, I see that it does not provide any manpage, nor any binary.
> It is not a program that you use. It is a library that other programs
> that want USB features would use. See the description printed when
> you type "port info libusb".
>
> What are you trying to accomplish by installing libusb? Maybe we can
> help you accomplish that goal another way.

Hi Ryan - thanks for the speedy response.  The main reason I hoped to see
any info about the installed libusb via those commands was just because I
was following the instructions at the darwinports site, and because the
info there was marked as reasonably up to date.  Roger on ignoring all
that, though!

The port contents command was the one I needed...I'm now able to link
successfully against libusb.

I'm trying to install libusb so I can test some USB virtual serial port
enumeration software - I actually have a working version on OS X but not
for Linux, but I don't have a Linux machine to test on.

Thanks again!

Liam