New Howto

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu Jun 5 17:32:40 PDT 2008

On Jun 5, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> We already have spread our website over enough different places.
> There is macports.org, trac.macports.org and guide.macports.org (and
> the upcoming MPWA at db.macports.org). It is already hard enough to
> find the relevant information one is looking for. If we now add yet
> another new site, this will become even worse.

Rainer, I'm beginning to wonder if you just like to argue.  I know,
the thought of a german who likes to argue - it's almost impossible to
conceive of, isn't it?  :-)

I was thinking of a somewhat broader problem space than just MacPorts
here, given that the notion of writing "howtos" ultimately and
logically extends well beyond just the software you choose to add
explicitly yourself.  There are also other projects on macosforge who
would like to see their own howtos on various topics, some of which
are essentially meta-topics ("you must know foo before you can
understand bar, even though foo is not logically in the domain of what
we are doing").   Rather than have multiple people re-write howtos
like "The Unix PATH and how it affects you", it would therefore be
better to have a group of documentation-centric people who maintain
howtos (or mediawiki pages) like that, whether or not they're also
members of the macports project (or the ruby project or the webkit
project) being essentially irrelevant as long as they can write good
docs.  There's no rule that says all developers have to be in one and
only one project, or that all projects have to force all URLs into a
single domain in order for people to find stuff.  From my perspective,
knowing I can go to http://howto.macosforge.org or http://doc.macosforge.org,
  or whatever the heck we might decide to call it, and find all the
docs that the various projects are publishing seems to make it a lot
EASIER to find the information I am looking for rather than the
opposite.

More to the point, if we feel it's appropriate to have a general
documentation project on MacOSForge, we're going to create one
regardless of what macports decides to do since we have plenty of meta-
topics to cover, including but not limited to general rules of the
road for open source collaboration, how to use MacOSForge itself, etc
etc.   In comparison with that, splintering the docs into different
domains and documentation formats seems a lot more confusing to me as
well as having the potential to turn away contributors who would like
to write end-user tutorials on using popular software but don't
actually use macports.   What's been done in macports so far
represents an excellent start, don't get me wrong, but it's also
raising the question as to whether or not it's happening in precisely
the right project context and/or using the right tools.

In any case, there's little point in arguing about this since the
bigger picture goal here is going to evolve independently of any
argument you or I might have anyway, so I think both you and I can
save our fingerpads this time around.

- Jordan