Question about install options

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 9 17:46:30 PDT 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 18:20, Jayson Barr wrote:

> I am considering using macports to make packages for distribution
> at work.
> I have a question about functionality:
> Is it possible to configure macports in such a way as to make it so
> that my current
> installation layout (by this I mean file locations) will be preserved?

I'm not sure what you mean?

> Basically I am having trouble finding documentation on this feature
> talked about in MacPorts Guide:
> "Allows you to create pre-compiled binary installers of ported
> applications to quickly install software on remote computers without
> compiling from source code."
>
> Could someone point me to the right page?

If you "port pkg foo" (create a package of foo) or "port mpkg
foo" (create a package of foo and all its dependencies), it will
create a Mac OS X installer package of foo (and, with mpkg, its
dependencies). On the computer on which you install this package, the
files will get installed in the same place where they were on the
computer where you made the package. For example, if you have
MacPorts in /opt/local (the default) and create a package, then on
the other computer where you install the package, the files will also
go into /opt/local. Note that the files installed by the package are
not registered with a MacPorts installation on that computer. So that
other computer where you install the package should not now nor at
any time while your package is installed have MacPorts installed.