New Howto

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 12:59:31 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:00 PM, <
macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org> wrote:

Message: 11
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:27:30 -0500
From: "Lorin Rivers" <lrivers at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: New Howto
To: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh at apple.com>
Cc: MacPorts Users <macports-users at lists.macosforge.org>

> Leaving aside the issue of what the best platform for sharing the info
might
> be. If nobody knows it's there, the kick-assingest wiki server the world
has
> or will ever see is not going to address my suggestion in the slightest.
> My point was that it's quite a challenge finding the current how-to's even
> if you already know they exist. If you are not in that smallish (I'm
> guessing--but I've been using *Ports for a fairly long time, and it was a
> recent message on this list that made me aware) category, then the chances
> this very useful series of articles will reach the audience that needs it
is
> quite small.
> Just to refresh, there needs to be a link from the main MacPorts
> documentation site to the how-to's. As a first step, it's awesome.

Taking up the earlier comment on a need for discussion, what are the pros
and cons of the different wiki platforms?

I would say, if I had a vote (who does?), that whatever people are willing
to use wins. It may not be elegant or state of the art, but the best is the
enemy of the good, and good is usually good enough.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at gmail.com>