Fwd: New Howto

Randall Wood randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com
Wed Jun 11 11:56:08 PDT 2008

Failed to send to list...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Randall Wood <randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: New Howto
To: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh at apple.com>

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2008, at 11:23 PM, Martin Krischik wrote:
>
> Note that MediaWiki supports up to 256 name spaces. For example on
> wikibooks the cookbook runs in it's own name space:
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook
>
> I think it would be a good idea to have one wiki for - including the
> homepage. It just need a clear structure form the onset.
>
> That's a bit more ambitious than what I had in mind, at least at the very
> start, but I think that's a fine goal.
> Why don't we do this:  Why don't we get MediaWiki up on the MacOSForge
> cluster and start experimenting with it?  If we don't like it, we certainly
> don't have to use it, but we should have options.  I've used trac to edit
> various things on MacOSForge and cannot consider myself a fan of it given
> how it makes a number of things which should be simple and obvious, well,
> rather less so.  I've also added entries to wikipedia, or edited existing
> ones, and found that to be a very straight-forward and relatively intuitive
> process by comparison.

I'll ask this instead: Why not simply get our trac site looking like
we want it, instead of having it in the hideous MacOSForge theme?
Webkit is using the MacOSForge trac without all the MacOSForge stuff
on it and with its own theme. We could do the same thing.

I'm not aware that we have tried.

I'll also give you a reason not to stand up MediaWiki on MacOSForge:
It will lead to multiple wiki syntaxes in MacPorts unless we abandon
trac for SVN browsing and ticketing. And I really don't want to see
that. viewcvs sucks as an SVN browsers, and MediaWiki/Bugzilla/SVN
have no real integration between each other. We'll loose the
integration that trac brings and it is valuable.

> - Jordan

Randall Wood
randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the rest is just philosophy."

--
Randall Wood
randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com