Is "MacPort" a valid term?

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Wed Jun 11 23:51:18 PDT 2008

>> I dislike 'MacPort', but I like the term 'mport'.
>
>I dunno, that just doesn't seem to roll off the tongue and also
>suffers from excessive contraction at the wrong place.  If, for
>example, you were trying to come up with a more convenient way of
>distinguishing "pickup truck" from "semi tractor trailer truck" then
>it's just not human nature (at least not anywhere I know of) to call
>one a ptruck and the other an struck.  Here in the US, for example, we
>call one a pickup and the other a semi, and people have no trouble
>with those contractions.

So are you saying that you think "MacPort" is a valid term?  I was
thinking it wasn't an accepted and/or used term.  If folks think it is, I
can stop flipping between using "MacPorts port" (mostly in intro parts)
and "port" in the docs.  It's not a really big deal though, except just to
settle if the term "MacPort" is considered invalid usage or not.

Mark