Is "MacPort" a valid term?

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu Jun 12 10:43:22 PDT 2008

On Jun 11, 2008, at 11:51 PM, markd at macports.org wrote:

> So are you saying that you think "MacPort" is a valid term?  I was
> thinking it wasn't an accepted and/or used term.  If folks think it
> is, I
> can stop flipping between using "MacPorts port" (mostly in intro
> parts)
> and "port" in the docs.  It's not a really big deal though, except
> just to
> settle if the term "MacPort" is considered invalid usage or not.

I'm not saying it's invalid, how about that? :-)

Ultimately, I think it's like a nickname.  You generally don't get to
pick your own nickname and, whether you like it or not, once you have
one it sticks to you like glue for the rest of your life.

We're still just in that awkward phase where nobody has found a
nickname that really applies to the extent where everyone goes "Yes!
That's it!" and then continues to use that name regardless of what the
Powers That Be attempt to call it.

- Jordan