upgrades fail after leopard update

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Thu Jun 12 13:52:56 PDT 2008

I just got around to upgrading my work machine to leopard.  The first
problem I ran into was that apparently I had a really old xcode
installed, so none of the old ported binaries would run (something about
an old threading model no longer supported apparently).  I upgraded that
and did the self update, which appeared to work, but "port upgrade"
still fails.  I finally did a "port install dovecot" trying to get my
mail going again, which worked, until I tried to start it, at which time
"daemondo" failed to run.  Apparently even though I did "self update" it
didn't.  I downloaded installed macports 1.6.0, which fixed *that*
finally, but the "port upgrade installed" still fails:

[163] # port upgrade installed
--->  Configuring xorg-util-macros
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell
command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xorg-util-macros/work/util-macros-1.1.5"
&& ./configure --prefix=/opt/local " returned error 1
Command output: sh: line 0: cd:
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xorg-util-macros/work/util-macros-1.1.5:
No such file or directory

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: xorg-util-macros
--->  Configuring xorg-util-macros
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell
command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xorg-util-macros/work/util-macros-1.1.5"
&& ./configure --prefix=/opt/local " returned error 1
Command output: sh: line 0: cd:
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xorg-util-macros/work/util-macros-1.1.5:
No such file or directory

and on for each of them.

I'm not sure "port upgrade" will fix everything anyhow: if there's not a
newer version of something, it's not going to rebuild it.  What I really
need is "port reinstall installed" to force rebuilding everything with
new binaries...