upgrades fail after leopard update

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 12 14:47:40 PDT 2008

On Jun 12, 2008, at 15:52, Alan Batie wrote:

> I just got around to upgrading my work machine to leopard.  The
> first problem I ran into was that apparently I had a really old
> xcode installed, so none of the old ported binaries would run
> (something about an old threading model no longer supported
> apparently).  I upgraded that and did the self update, which
> appeared to work, but "port upgrade" still fails.  I finally did a
> "port install dovecot" trying to get my mail going again, which
> worked, until I tried to start it, at which time "daemondo" failed
> to run.  Apparently even though I did "self update" it didn't.  I
> downloaded installed macports 1.6.0, which fixed *that* finally,
> but the "port upgrade installed" still fails:
>
> [163] # port upgrade installed
> --->  Configuring xorg-util-macros
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_x
> org-util-macros/work/util-macros-1.1.5" && ./configure --prefix=/
> opt/local " returned error 1
> Command output: sh: line 0: cd: /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_x
> org-util-macros/work/util-macros-1.1.5: No such file or directory
>
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: xorg-util-macros
> --->  Configuring xorg-util-macros
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_x
> org-util-macros/work/util-macros-1.1.5" && ./configure --prefix=/
> opt/local " returned error 1
> Command output: sh: line 0: cd: /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_x
> org-util-macros/work/util-macros-1.1.5: No such file or directory
>
> and on for each of them.
>
> I'm not sure "port upgrade" will fix everything anyhow: if there's
> not a newer version of something, it's not going to rebuild it.
> What I really need is "port reinstall installed" to force
> rebuilding everything with new binaries...

Using Leopard to run ports built on Tiger isn't really supported. You
could rebuild each port foo using "sudo port -ncuf upgrade foo" but
the trick is you would need to reinstall each port in the correct
order. For example, you would need to reinstall zlib before libpng,
because libpng depends on zlib. "port deps foo" can tell you about a
port foo's dependencies. You'd have to keep track of your rebuilding
progress manually because there wouldn't necessarily be any
indication in your list of installed ports which ones you had rebuilt
and which you hadn't.

There's also the problem that if you had any ports installed with
e.g. the "darwin_8" variant (which is auto-selected on Tiger), when
you rebuild, you would retain the darwin_8 variant, even though it's
not appropriate for use on Leopard (where the darwin_9 variant is
instead appropriate). For ports that define both, you'd even end up
with ports installed that have both the darwin_8 and darwin_9
variants selected, which is surely bad. To work around this for a
port foo you would have to "sudo port uninstall foo" and then "sudo
port install foo +bar" (where "+bar" is whatever variants you had
selected before (minus darwin_8 if applicable)).

For these reasons you may be better off uninstalling MacPorts and
then reinstalling the ports you need. Uninstall instructions are in
the FAQ:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts

Before you uninstall, you can use "port installed" to get the list of
ports and variants that you currently have installed, and use that
when reinstalling.

Alternate uninstall instructions might be "sudo port -f uninstall
installed" which would leave behind any files that you had installed,
such as configuration files or databases which you may want to save.