Is "MacPort" a valid term?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 12 14:56:50 PDT 2008

On Jun 11, 2008, at 17:59, Watson Ladd wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> macboats?
>>> macships?
>>> maccanoes?
>>> macdocks?
>>> macpallets?
>>> macboxes?
>>> maccrates?
>>>

>>> :-)))
>>
>> I just knew this was coming. :)
>
> How about seeds? After all, they grow into ports for Apple machines.

Cute! Though "seed" also has another connotation in the software
industry (a pre-release version of something given to select
individuals for testing) that we may not want.

Old Mac OS installers had some interesting names for the files they
stored their bits in. I remember "Installer Tome", "System Morsels",
"System Orts"... Maybe we could reuse one of these terms.

  * "Did you install the libiconv morsel?"
  * "Please upgrade the zlib ort."

"Ort" has the added advantage (or possibly confusion) that it's just
one letter off from "port"...

sudo ort install....

MacOrts....