python2.5 install failed

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Jun 17 03:11:16 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2008, at 5:18 AM, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
>

>> question: could'nt/should'nt `port' check the Xcode version itself and
>> issue a complain if it's too old?
>
> Yes, that would be wonderful. I filed a request for that some time
> ago but it hasn't really been implemented yet:
>
> http;//trac.macports.org/ticket/12794

The source install checks the Xcode version on configure and warns if
one is using an old version. I don't think the dmg installer does
something like this.

Checking the version on every run of port is not a good idea, especially
not when we allow to choose other compilers through configure.compiler
(or a new setting in macports.conf as I proposed recently). Bundling the
check with the currently setting of configure.compiler could work.

Maybe it would be enough to add this check to 'port selfupdate' (or a
new 'port selfcheck'?). But we also have users with old MacPorts
versions from time to time...

Rainer