python2.5 install failed

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Tue Jun 17 03:29:11 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:11:16PM +0200, Rainer Müller wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> >On Jun 16, 2008, at 5:18 AM, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
> >

> >>question: could'nt/should'nt `port' check the Xcode version itself and
> >>issue a complain if it's too old?
> >
> >Yes, that would be wonderful. I filed a request for that some time
> >ago but it hasn't really been implemented yet:
> >
> >http;//trac.macports.org/ticket/12794
>
> The source install checks the Xcode version on configure and warns if
> one is using an old version. I don't think the dmg installer does
> something like this.
>
> Checking the version on every run of port is not a good idea, especially
> not when we allow to choose other compilers through configure.compiler
> (or a new setting in macports.conf as I proposed recently). Bundling the
> check with the currently setting of configure.compiler could work.
>
> Maybe it would be enough to add this check to 'port selfupdate' (or a
> new 'port selfcheck'?). But we also have users with old MacPorts
> versions from time to time...

that's true (happened to me, too...). but the adivice "first
run port selfupdate and look whether problem goes away"   is
seen so often that most people will try this sooner or later
anyway. so, I'd say a check at `port selfupdate'  time would
probably  "solve"    95-99%    of  all cases where the Xcode
version problem arises.

joerg