configure: error: ./configure failed for glib-1.2.10

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 18 22:49:52 PDT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 11:45 PM, Eugene Vilensky wrote:

>> Why do you need glib 1.2.10, by the way? The current version of
>> glib is in
>> the glib2 port. glib 1.2.10 is old and may not be expected to work on
>> Leopard.
>
> I was actually trying to install xeyes as a test, which told me I was
> missing pkgconfig.
>
> Here is a bunch of the output.  I'm pretty lost; the last time I had a
> need for macports, everything 'just worked'.
>
> Thanks for taking a look!
>
> supermac:base evilensky$ sudo port install xeyes
> --->  Fetching xeyes
> --->  Attempting to fetch xeyes-1.0.1.tar.bz2 from
> http://distfiles.macports.org/xeyes
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for xeyes
> --->  Extracting xeyes
> --->  Configuring xeyes
[snip]
> checking for pkg-config... no
> checking for XEYES... configure: error: The pkg-config script could
> not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
> is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
> path to pkg-config.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XEYES_CFLAGS
> and XEYES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>
> To get pkg-config, see <http://www.freedesktop.org/software/
> pkgconfig>.
> See `config.log' for more details.

Ok. xeyes does not declare a dependency on pkgconfig and clearly
needs to. I filed a bug:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15674

You can Cc yourself there if you want to be informed when it's resolved.

> Then:
>

> supermac:base evilensky$ sudo port install pkgconfig
> --->  Fetching pkgconfig
> --->  Attempting to fetch pkg-config-0.23.tar.gz from
> http://www.vg.kernel.org/pub/mirrors/gentoo/source/distfiles/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for pkgconfig
> --->  Extracting pkgconfig
> --->  Configuring pkgconfig
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _pkgconfig/work/pkg-config-0.23"
> && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-indirect-deps " returned
> error 1
> Command output: mkdir: out: File exists
> rmdir: out: Directory not empty
> rmdir: conftest: Directory not empty
> yes
> checking whether the /usr/bin/g++-4.0 linker
> (/usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin9/4.0.1/ld) supports shared
> libraries... yes
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin9.3.0 dyld
> appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
> Makefiles... no
> checking host system type... (cached) i386-apple-darwin9.3.0
> checking whether to enable memory checking... no
> checking whether to enable memory profiling... no
> checking for gcc... (cached) /usr/bin/gcc-4.0
> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
> checking whether /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 accepts -g... (cached) yes
> checking for /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 option to accept ISO C89... (cached)
> none needed
> checking dependency style of /usr/bin/gcc-4.0... (cached) gcc3
> checking for /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 option to accept ANSI C... none needed
> checking for extra flags to get ANSI library prototypes...
> configure: WARNING: No ANSI prototypes found in library. (-std1
> didn't work.)
> checking for extra flags for POSIX compliance... none needed
> checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
> checking for vprintf... no
> checking for atexit... no
> checking for on_exit... no
> checking for char... yes
> checking size of char... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof
> (char)
> See `config.log' for more details.
> configure: error: ./configure failed for glib-1.2.10

Oh I see. We're not talking about the glib (1) port, but the glib
that's included inside the pkgconfig source. pkgconfig is like oxygen
so it has to work on all our supported platforms. I know it should
work on Leopard. I'm not sure why it's blowing up like this for you.
I'll have to reboot to Leopard and reinstall pkgconfig and compare my
verbose output with yours above.

We may want to see more output than what's shown above. You should
attach the config.log from the failed pkgconfig install attempt, and
also you should try to install pkgconfig with the debug flag to get
more output and send us all the output.

sudo port clean --work pkgconfig
sudo port -d install pkgconfig 2>&1 | tee ~/Desktop/pkgconfig.out

Then send us pkgconfig.out on your Desktop.

> supermac:~ evilensky$ sudo port install glib1
> --->  Fetching expat
> --->  Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1.tar.gz from
> http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/expat
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for expat
> --->  Extracting expat
> --->  Configuring expat
> --->  Building expat with target all
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textp
> roc_expat/work/expat-2.0.1"
> && gnumake all " returned error 2
> Command output: /bin/sh ./libtool --silent --mode=compile
> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -I./lib -I. -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wstrict-prototypes  -I/opt/local/include -DHAVE_EXPAT_CONFIG_H -o
> lib/xmlparse.lo -c lib/xmlparse.c
> lib/xmlparse.c:81:2: error: #error memmove does not exist on this
> platform, nor is a substitute available
> gnumake: *** [lib/xmlparse.lo] Error 1
>
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gettext expat
> libiconv gperf ncurses ncursesw pkgconfig

expat is also a rather central and important dependency which also
must work on Leopard, and does for me, so I don't know why this isn't
working for you.

I see one report like this here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?
func=detail&atid=110127&aid=1647805&group_id=10127

But I don't really see a solution listed there.

Can you try uninstalling Xcode (using the script provided by Apple)
and then installing Xcode again? Not sure what else to try, short of
an OS reinstall...