[darkstat] Improvement for MacOS

Damien Clauzel Damien at Clauzel.nom.fr
Thu Jun 19 02:47:43 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I have been briefly working with the creator of darkstat, Emil Mikulic,
for improving the use of this software of MacOS. The idea is to have
darkstat working nicely as a clean service.

For doing this, Emil have made some changes in the code for adding a new
option (--no-daemon, see attached patch) for preventing darkstat to fork
when started, and I have created a launchd plist config file for setting
up darkstat as a MacOS service (without the need of third part tools
like daemonic).

The method I am using is to drop a service file
into /Library/LaunchDaemons/ (see attached document), and let launchd do
its job. This approach means that darkstat run as a system wide service.

The trick is just to use a different label for each distribution (fink
and macports) in order to avoid conflict in case darkstat is installed
from both of them (not a smart move, but anyway...)

What I would like to do is to validate those modifications with both of
the fink and macports mainteneurs of darkstat, and to make a new release
(so I can have it directly on my machines without the need of patching
manually; yes, I am lazy :)

What do you think of all of this?

	Damien Clauzel