dealing with ports that can't upgrade

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 21 14:08:01 PDT 2008

On Jun 21, 2008, at 3:19 PM, paul beard wrote:

> So I have this problem where I can't upgrade metacity until I get
> Leopard. Is there a way to have MacPorts simply ignore you don't
> want upgraded or that can't be upgraded? Something as simple as
> a .ignore file in the port directory or an entry in a list in
> ports.conf . . .

There is no such feature at this time.

> In the case of metacity and other ports similarly situated, why not
> an OS version test, if it's confirmed that Tiger is not suitable
> build platform?

If the current version of metacity will not be fixed to work on pre-
Leopard, then the port should error out on pre-Leopard OS versions,
and the last Tiger-compatible version of metacity should be
resurrected from the repository and reinstated as a separate port.

But if the current metacity can be fixed to work on pre-Leopard, then
that should be done instead.