dealing with ports that can't upgrade

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 14:12:57 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2008, at 3:19 PM, paul beard wrote:
>
>  So I have this problem where I can't upgrade metacity until I get Leopard.
>> Is there a way to have MacPorts simply ignore you don't want upgraded or
>> that can't be upgraded? Something as simple as a .ignore file in the port
>> directory or an entry in a list in ports.conf . . .
>>

> There is no such feature at this time.

I suspected not: I'll make an RFE.

>  In the case of metacity and other ports similarly situated, why not an OS
>> version test, if it's confirmed that Tiger is not suitable build platform?
>>

> If the current version of metacity will not be fixed to work on
> pre-Leopard, then the port should error out on pre-Leopard OS versions, and
> the last Tiger-compatible version of metacity should be resurrected from the
> repository and reinstated as a separate port.

I am actually working my way through that: looks like 2.21.2 works, where
2.22 fails.

> But if the current metacity can be fixed to work on pre-Leopard, then that
> should be done instead.

That sounds like a lot of work: something to do with X.org stuff that is
leopard-specific. Seems to me that erroring out based on OS version is the
cleanest way to go forward.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at gmail.com>