Question regarding workaround for gnutar 1.20 on 10.5 (and related question about gcc)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Jun 22 15:13:05 PDT 2008

Tabitha McNerney wrote:
> This is rather interesting. I separately installed the two gcc 4.2 ports
> mentioned in my email that started this thread (apple-gcc42 and gcc42).
> After each install, I attempted then to build and install (after first
> cleaning) gnutar 1.20. In both cases gnutar 1.20 failed to install.
>
> So I guess this means that the beta of gcc 4.2 is that which is likely
> associated with pre-release of XCode 3.1? Any suggestions? Has anyone
> successfully built gnutar 1.20 on Leopard 10.5.x?

Yes, it really wants /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 from the Xcode beta, which is bad
in my opinion as it prevents to install this port on normal systems. I
already wrote a mail about this to Markus and macports-dev [1].

It works fine for me with gcc42 or gcc43 from MacPorts. You can
overwrite the compiler manually as a workaround:

$ sudo port install gnutar configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.2

The only thing that won't work are universal builds, as noted by Markus
in the thread from above.

Rainer

[1] http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2008-June/005403.html