apache foul up

Tom Allison tom at tacocat.net
Mon Jun 30 17:13:41 PDT 2008

I'm getting more confused every 10 minutes with this apache installation.

I installed apache2:
sudo port installed | grep apache
   apache2 @2.2.9_1 (active)

The manual says version 1.3
Error pages say 1.3.41.

Prior to this, in uninstalled all the apache modules and deleted the
/opt/local/apache2 directory and then installed apache2.

Versions don't match up.

I'm lost.  These kinds of things aren't expected.

So, first.  How does mac ports install version 1.3 when someone has
specified 2.2.9?  Hacked website?

Assuming that it's just a matter of someone not updating any of the
documentation between the mac port for 1.3.41 and 2.2.9 then I've worked
myself into another problem with this installation.

ServerRoot "/opt/local/apache2"
ErrorLog "logs/error_log"

As for the httpd.conf I just copied the original/http.conf over to
conf/httpd.conf and restarted apache.  No logs.  Even when I create an
error (like page not found or others) I have no files, nothing for
access_log or error_log.

OK, I found that even after apachectl stop there are still processes
running.   So, after a killall I managed to get something working (found
error_log and access_log).  But the versions are still incorrect.