Install successful now trying to install ntop

Chris Pickel sfiera at macports.org
Tue Mar 11 14:16:38 PDT 2008

On 11 Mar, 2008, at 16:48, Alex Zavatone wrote:
> My goal in installing MacPorts was to get a ntop installed.
> Checking for installation instructions for ntop on macports.org
> wasn't helpful at all; I couldn't find any instructions.  Luckily,
> back at the old darwinports.org there is a url for ntop, http://ntop/darwinports.org
>  that actually contains installation instructions:

Did you mean http://ntop.*.com? That site is not affiliated with
MacPorts at all and has been a source of much bad information (you
might notice I avoid even writing something that could be construed as
a link to it).

The place that you should have found information would be the
[MacPorts guide][1], in section [3.1.8][2]. Where did you look
instead? What would have guided you towards this location? (we want to
be better at getting people there in the future).

[1] http://guide.macports.org/
[2] http://guide.macports.org/#using.port.install

> cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/ntop
> % sudo port install ntop
>
> One problem here is that if /portslocation/dports/ntop doesn't
> exist, then you must create it, cd to it and then sudo.  Even thou
> the instructions are clear, they should mention this to save newbies
> like me.

These instructions are wrong. It should not be necessary to do
anything but "sudo port install ntop", as with any MacPorts port.

> Once the directories are created, sudo port install ntop works
> wonderfully, installing all sorts files - that is until it gets to
> libcap.  Libcap can't be found in any of the following locations:
> ---> Fetching libpcap
> ---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from http://www.tcpdump.org/release/

It appears that tcpdump.org, the provider of libpcap, is currently
inaccessible. If you can find libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz elsewhere online,
dropping it in /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/libpcap will allow
you to continue. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the site to come
back up.

Regards,

Chris