Install successful now trying to install ntop

Alex Zavatone zavpublic at mac.com
Tue Mar 11 14:47:48 PDT 2008

Oops.  My mistake.  You are correct.  http://ntop.thatOtherDomain.com/ .

> The place that you should have found information would be the
> [MacPorts guide][1], in section [3.1.8][2]. Where did you look
> instead? What would have guided you towards this location? (we want
> to be better at getting people there in the future).

Since I first had to figure out how to install MacPorts on my macs, I
opted for a .dmg.  I then had to figure out that I needed xCode since
the .dmg doesn't check to see if it is installed and I installed
that.  Then after installing it many many times with no luck, I
finally found out how to join this list and ask a question, which
Adrian kindly answered and I finished up editing the file that I
thought the DMG would create, opened terminal and ran the self update.

I then looked on http://www.macports.org for available ports and
entered ntop in the entry field.  I found a description of ntop but
nothing to help me install it.  I clicked on Downloads under Available
Shortcuts and it didn't have ntop info so I resorted to that
information that I found prowling around that other site.

Originally, I was instructed from a nice user on Apple's OS X Server
email list that I could install MacPorts and then I should visit
ntop.*.com to get ntop.  It actually had instructions in reverse text
about 1 page down.  So I tried them.  I had no idea that port install
was needed, or how it was used or why.  Ignorance is bliss, right?
Riiiight.  And here we are.

> [1] http://guide.macports.org/
> [2] http://guide.macports.org/#using.port.install

Thanks so much.  I'll be reading that in a bit.

>> cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/ntop
>> % sudo port install ntop
>>
>> One problem here is that if /portslocation/dports/ntop doesn't
>> exist, then you must create it, cd to it and then sudo.  Even thou
>> the instructions are clear, they should mention this to save
>> newbies like me.
>
> These instructions are wrong. It should not be necessary to do
> anything but "sudo port install ntop", as with any MacPorts port.

Ahh, Ok.  So changing the directory is not necessary.  If the .dmg had
properly set up my .profile file, the one key missing step, that part
would have been a little less confusing to me.  I had to create that
on my own as per Adrian's help

>> Once the directories are created, sudo port install ntop works
>> wonderfully, installing all sorts files - that is until it gets to
>> libcap.  Libcap can't be found in any of the following locations:
>> ---> Fetching libpcap
>> ---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from http://www.tcpdump.org/release/
>
> It appears that tcpdump.org, the provider of libpcap, is currently
> inaccessible. If you can find libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz elsewhere online,
> dropping it in /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/libpcap will allow
> you to continue. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the site to come
> back up.

Almost.  :]

It's now waiting for a lock on a file.

$ sudo port install ntop
Waiting for lock on /opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_net_libpcap/work/.macports.libpcap.state

The contents of that file is the following text:
target: org.macports.main

Thanks so much Chris.

- Alex Zavatone