e: Install successful now trying to install ntop

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Tue Mar 11 15:13:12 PDT 2008

>Thanks to Adrian's help, I was able to complete the install of MacPorts.
>
>My goal in installing MacPorts was to get a ntop installed.  Checking
>for installation instructions for ntop on macports.org wasn't helpful
>at all; I couldn't find any instructions.  Luckily, back at the old
>darwinports.org there is a url for ntop, http://ntop/darwinports.org
>that actually contains installation instructions:
>
>cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/ntop
>% sudo port install ntop
>
>One problem here is that if /portslocation/dports/ntop doesn't exist,
>then you must create it, cd to it and then sudo.  Even thou the
>instructions are clear, they should mention this to save newbies like
>me.
>
>Once the directories are created, sudo port install ntop works
>wonderfully, installing all sorts files - that is until it gets to
>libcap.  Libcap can't be found in any of the following locations:
>---> Fetching libpcap
>---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from
>http://www.tcpdump.org/release/
>---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from
>http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/libpcap
>---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from
>http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/general/
>---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from
>http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/libpcap
>---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from
>http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/libpcap
>---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from
>http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/general/
>---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from
>http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/libpcap
>Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned: fetch failed
>
>Since I it appears that libcap is required to build and install ntop,
>what should I do from here?

ntop is broken on 10.5 and I don't know what the fix is yet.  If someone
could ask the ntop support list it would be great.  I've been too busy to
do it.

>> Right afterwards, cgilib failed to build since the terminal didn't
>> know what the command "O3" was.  Details below.

>> ---> Building cgilib with target {}
>> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
>> local/var/macports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
>> .macports.org_release_ports_www_cgilib/work/cgilib-0.5" && make
>> CFLAGS="-O3 -fPIC -I." " returned error 2
>> Command output: O3 -fPIC -I. -c -o cgi.o cgi.c
>> make: O3: Command not found
>> make: [cgi.o] Error 127 (ignored)
>> O3 -fPIC -I. -c -o cookies.o cookies.c
>> make: O3: Command not found
>> make: [cookies.o] Error 127 (ignored)
>> ar rc libcgi.a cgi.o cookies.o
>> ar: cgi.o: No such file or directory
>> ar: cookies.o: No such file or directory
>> make: *** [libcgi.a] Error 1
>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: rrdtool cgilib
>> libart_lgpl perl5.8 tcl
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

The last time I saw this happen, simply cleaning and reinstalling fixed it.

sudo port uninstall cgilib
sudo clean --all cgilib
sudo port install cgilib

Mark