Apache Questions [was PHP Problems]

Thomas Condon tomc at sounddsl.com
Wed Mar 12 10:23:44 PDT 2008

Folks,

I got some great suggestions a while back about what may be wrong with
my PHP5 port and why it wasn't running.  However, I still can't make it
work.

I think the problem may be in Apache itself - my setup, not the port -
because when I try to open an html file on my machine using:
http://localhost

it comes back with:

*********************
Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.

     *   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try
again in a few moments.
     *   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
network connection.
     *   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or
proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
*********************

Likewise, if I use my local network IP:
http://10.0.0.2

it still can't connect.

If I open the files directly (via Finder) with Firefox they work fine,
but with:
file::://opt/local/apache2/htdocs/index.html
as the URL, so I know it isn't going through Apache for that.

Running the port installed command searching for apache comes up with:

Mac-The-Knife:/opt/local/apache2/htdocs Captain$ port installed | grep
apache2
   apache2 @2.2.8_0 (active)
   php5 @5.2.5_1+apache2+macosx+mysql5 (active)

If I read this correctly it means that Apache2 should be running.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this problem.

In A Chord,

Tom Condon
Bass, Agate Passage Quartet
Bass & Proud Member, Kitsap Chordsmen
Dir. Music Education, Evergreen District, BHS