Unable to install gimp2

Walt Scrivens walts at gate.net
Fri Mar 14 05:16:39 PDT 2008

Related issue:

I installed Gimp a while ago, along with X11, and it worked.

Then an Apple upgrade came along, and Gimp quit with the message, "You
must have X11 installed".  Since I only use gimp occasionally, I
didn't worry about it, but it appears the Apple upgrade changed
something with X (which still appears int he finder and "runs".

This week, I installed Wireshark which also runs under X, and after
the installation Gimp started working.

The issue is this:  The Wireshark installation took THREE HOURS!  and
now, a cold boot of the Mac takes over five minutes!  I've concluded
that I must remove this stuff, and (maybe) start over.

I violated my cardinal rule - before installing software, be sure you
know how to remove it!  In my defense, the Mac has made me lazy in
that regard, with its "drag to the trash" uninstall procedure.  I can
get rid of Gimp that way, and I can do a "port uninstall" to get rid
of Wireshark, but how do I get rid of Mac Ports?  (Wireshark is almost
useless due to the AirPort not working in promiscuous mode, and as i
said I only use Gimp occasionally.)

Walt