tclsh malloc error and what does -R do?

Kendall Shaw queshaw at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 16 10:07:03 PDT 2008

I use -R when upgrading something with dependents, because I think it is
going to upgrade or recompile/relink the packages that depend on what
I'm upgrading. But, I think it just upgrades all of my outdated ports,
is that right?

For example I used sudo port upgrade -R python24 and it upgraded most of
my outdated ports, such as gtk2, and stopped on an error before moving
on to the last port. So, what does -R do?

Changing the subject: When I upgrade and many ports are upgraded, the
process often ends with this error:

tclsh(41595,0xa0081074) malloc: *** mmap(size=446464) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
unable to alloc 443225 bytes
Abort trap

I don't recall if this happens also when that happens, but this time,
just before the malloc error, I get:

Error: Variant headercache conflicts with db4
Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants

The final port that was going to probably be upgraded was mutt-devel,
which depends on db44. I don't recall if mutt was among the ports being
upgraded whenever I got this error.

Actually, I'm not going to look at mutt now, so I've uninstalled it.
But, do you know if the malloc error is a
general problem with upgrading many ports, or if it means my ports
system is screwed up somehow, or if it is a problem with db44 or mutt-devel?

Kendall