Kismet on OSX 10.5.1 Leopard

walts walts at gate.net
Sun Mar 16 13:26:15 PDT 2008

I followed the instructions and did not notice any errors in setting up
libpcap.  Here's what I get:

<code>
Macintosh:libpcap walts$ sudo kismet
Launching kismet_server: /opt/local/bin/kismet_server
Will drop privs to walts (501) gid 501
No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
Non-RFMon VAPs will be destroyed on multi-vap interfaces (ie, madwifi-ng)
Enabling channel hopping.
Enabling channel splitting.
INFO:  wlt1 looks like an Atheros card running under Darwin.
Source 0 (airport_extreme): Enabling monitor mode for darwin source
interface en1 channel 6...
Source 0 (airport_extreme): Opening darwin source interface wlt1...
FATAL: BIOCSETIF: wlt1: Device not configured
Done.
Macintosh:libpcap walts$ </code>

I have the source set in kismet.conf:
source=darwin,en1,airport_extreme
and it looks like it's opening that correctly, but then it stumbles on wlt1
(which does not exist in kismet.conf).  I'm not sure what to do at this
point.

Walt

njstaticuser wrote:

> What you need to do is to get the latest libpcap. You can get it through
> CVS current:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:tcpdump at cvs.tcpdump.org:/tcpdump/master login
> <the password is 'anoncvs'>
> cvs -d :pserver:tcpdump at cvs.tcpdump.org:/tcpdump/master checkout libpcap
> tcpdump
> cd libpcap
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> then try running kismet again and it should work fine.
> hope that helps.

-----
MacBook Pro (Intel) with 2GB RAM
Leopard (10.5.1)