php 5.2.5, entropy.ch binary vs MacPorts

Paul Collins paul at gracion.com
Wed Mar 19 11:20:26 PDT 2008

We run an HTTPS server using the entropy.ch php5 5.2.4 binary.
Clearly its time to upgrade to php 5.2.5. Plus we're going to need
WebDAV. We'd rather not switch the server from Tiger to Leopard any
sooner than necessary (as entropy's php 5.2.5 binary will apparently
require).

What are most people doing with OS X-based production web servers?
Running the entropy.ch php 5.2.4 binary from here until 5.2.5 is
released, then upgrading to Leopard? (Ignoring the beta for the moment.)

I've installed, worked with, and like MacPorts, but to use its php
would require us to replace OS X's Apache and SSL module, which we
don't want to do. But is that what people are doing?

Or, are many production servers running OS X Server instead of Client
and letting Apple handle the upgrades?

Any recommendations or field reports would be appreciated.

Paul Collins

** Gracion Software LLC                   http://www.gracion.com/
** Tel: +1 (541) 488-3488  iChat/AIM/Skype: gracionsoft
** Enclose - removes the email attachment bottleneck
** DigiTunnel 1.4 PPTP/VPN client for OS X
** Pronto Patent - search/download US patents fast