php 5.2.5, entropy.ch binary vs MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 19 20:56:10 PDT 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 13:20, Paul Collins wrote:

> We run an HTTPS server using the entropy.ch php5 5.2.4 binary.
> Clearly its time to upgrade to php 5.2.5. Plus we're going to need
> WebDAV. We'd rather not switch the server from Tiger to Leopard any
> sooner than necessary (as entropy's php 5.2.5 binary will apparently
> require).
>
> What are most people doing with OS X-based production web servers?
> Running the entropy.ch php 5.2.4 binary from here until 5.2.5 is
> released, then upgrading to Leopard? (Ignoring the beta for the
> moment.)
>
> I've installed, worked with, and like MacPorts, but to use its php
> would require us to replace OS X's Apache and SSL module, which we
> don't want to do. But is that what people are doing?
>
> Or, are many production servers running OS X Server instead of Client
> and letting Apple handle the upgrades?
>
> Any recommendations or field reports would be appreciated.

Using the +apache variant of the php5 port will use Apple's Apache
1.3 server. This option will be renamed to +apache_apple in the future.

If you are using Apple's Apache 2 server, for example with Mac OS X
Server or with Leopard, there is no option to make the php5 port work
with that at this time. There will be an option +apache2_apple in the
future for this.